July 11, 2011

For The Love Of Chihuahuas

"Dear Lord, Please let me be just half the person my dog thinks I am"



Some people are cat people and some are dog people.  We, are definitely dog people!  A dog's love is unconditional.  They love you "just because".  They don't care if your hair is messy, if your makeup isn't on yet, if you haven't brushed your teeth yet, or tidied up your house, no matter what you have or haven't done, they still look at you with nothing but love in their eyes. 


You know how when you're young you tend to map out the rest of your life?  What kind of job you'll have, the house that you'll live in, the car that you'll drive, the groceries that you'll buy, and yes, even the kind of dog that you'll have.  Never, ever did I imagine that I would have a Chihuahua, let alone two!  But, an opportunity presented itself one evening for a purebred Chihuahua at an affordable price.  I would have easily been able to pass it up if only there wasn't one of the puppies from the litter there at the time of the offer.  Seeing that sweet little puppy took me back to my childhood days when every animal that I saw had me pleading "Can we keep it Mom, Please, Can we"?  

But....I was much stronger than that now.  I couldn't be tempted.  Or...could I?  Irregardless I found myself telling my daughter about the adorable little puppy, and before I knew it we were going to pick out one of our own.  



Big mistake?  No, actually it was the best decision ever!



We went home that very same day with our new little puppy.  "Daphne" as we named her was so sweet and within minutes we were in love!  Time went on, and a year later we decided to get another Chihuahua.  Daphne was a fawn colored chihuahua, and our new little guy Dawson was dark glistening brown with lighter features.  And again, within minutes we were in love.  Even Daphne!  Two chihuahuas are twice the fun!



Chihuahuas aren't really dogs.  I'm convinced that they are four legged babies!  Especially Dawson!  He is just over a year old now, but still, such a baby!  He can't jump up on the couch in the living room - he needs a stool for that!  (Daphne has no problem with this)  He can't jump up on the couch downstairs because I haven't gotten a stool for that couch yet.  (Again, Daphne has no problem with this)  He cries if he can't get under the blanket (Whereas Daphne WILL get under it, come hell or high water) He can't jump off of my bed (No problem for Daphne) and he's terrified of car rides ( and Daphne?  You have to hold her up so that she can stick her head out the window) he even makes a cute little baby sound every single time that he yawns!  What can I say...He's a baby!!  And on top of all that?  For some reason even though he is a purebred, his ears didn't stand up which makes him look that much more like a baby!





Dog experts say that when you own a tiny dog, the worst thing that you can do is to carry them around.  I say "Hmmmmph"!!  Do these experts have any idea of how much love that these tiny dogs bring out in you?  Do they realize just how easy it is to carry them?  Do they understand just how irresistible they are?  Our dogs are fully capable of walking on their own, and they do!  They walk, they run, they dance, they chase balls, they chase us, they wrestle, but we still have many moments where we carry them like little babies!  



If you are considering one of these tiny dogs, I have to stress, make your own judgements and don't listen to everything that you hear.  If I would have listened to others, I wouldn't have these two beautiful sweethearts!  



I've heard it all!  Why a Chihuahua?  They're funny looking, they're yappy, they shake all the time, they're clingy....etc.etc.etc.




This is where I get a little defensive!  First of all, they aren't funny looking at all!  I tell Daphne & Dawson everyday just how beautiful they are.  They are the smallest dog breed in the world, and also one of the longest living breeds.  They have tiny little heads, big pointy ears, and big eyes, all on a tiny little body.  And we all know that sometimes the best things come in small packages!



Are they yappy?  Well...that's kind of a loaded question.  It might appear to an outsider that they are high strung and yappy.  I've even had some mean lady accuse our little Daphne of looking vicious!  Imagine that!  What people don't realize until they own this precious breed is that Chihuahuas are actually vigilant watchdogs.  Because of their alertness and loyalty to their owners, they are suspicious and wary of strangers.  Protective, devoted, and fiercely loyal! If they see something as a threat, they will bark, and they won't give up until that threat is gone.  They may be little in our eyes, but in their own they are as big as a Great Dane!  However, in the comfort of our own home, when it is just family, you couldn't have a more loving dog!





And, clingy?  Well, I suppose that depends on what you are looking for in a dog.  These two will follow us from room to room, they love to sleep with us, they cry if one of us leaves the car, if we're outside, they want to be outside.  But...they are also the first ones to greet you when you walk through the door, as happily as if you were their hero.  They're there when you're feeling lonely, when you need a kiss, when you're scared, when you eat (especially when you eat), when you want to cuddle, when you're cold, and when you're just not feeling up to snuff.  So sweet, and so attentive.  They can't help it if they love to be around humans. 



Wow!  A whole blog entry about our babies!  You might even think that they are spoiled?  You betcha they are!  Daphne and Dawson are two of the sweetest, most loving, playful, loyal, cuddliest dogs ever, and I can't begin to imagine our home without them! 












No comments: