July 11, 2011

My first "BIG" furniture redo

A few years ago after going through my parent's home to ready things for an estate sale, we decided to keep the dining room set.  The cane backs of the chairs had seen better days, but I still saw potential.  And then life got busy, which brings me to today.



This dining room set has definitely served the purpose, but now that I've discovered D.I.Y. furniture redo's that take my breath away, I realize that it is outdated, dark, and lacks style.  




I can still remember a distant relative that was absolutely appalled when anyone painted over wood.  She's probably turning over in her grave right now!  But times are changing and there are so many awesome ideas out there from people that have actually done this!

What do I have planned for this set?  First I'm going to remove the caning from the backs of the chairs and insert a back rest.  Then, I'm thinking white for the set, with a bright, cheerful sunny yellow print to recover the chairs with.  It will definitely be a huge change, but one that I am excited about.  

The above picture from " House of Turquoise" is my inspiration


This is what I have in mind for the table centerpiece only with more focus on yellow &white. 


 The above picture is from http://www.100layercake.com/blog/

I wish that I could say that I'll post the "after" pictures shortly, but with working full time, it's going to be a job that I will have to do bit by bit.  All things take time to create.  

So, sometime in the future, as soon as I'm finished, I will definitely post pictures of the finished set!  Be sure to check back, or better yet, follow my blog so that you don't miss the after pictures.   Wish me loads of luck, and if you have any ideas or helpful tips, please feel free to share!

No comments: